It’s finally that time of year again. Where we say goodbye to those lazy summer days, and hello to busy week night schedules. With both kids involved in after school activities, most of my time is spent either at the soccer field or ballet studio. Not to mention my lengthy to-do list everyday.
So when it comes to fueling my family, I need something quick and satisfying for my little athletes. That is why I love this simple Korean Beef Rice Bowl. Full of protein, veggies and carbohydrates- this meal has it all!
When I first made this recipe, I was reluctant to serve it to my children because they’re both the pickiest eaters ever. And that’s an understatement. But to my surprise, they love it! I may or may not have something to do with the fact that they can eat it with chopsticks, but hey- I’ll take it. Of course my daughter gets more rice on the floor than her mouth, but it’s the effort that counts, right?!
When preparing this Asian inspired meal, I prefer to use flank steak over any other cut. Who am I kidding, I use flank steak for everything, but that’s besides the point. If you’ve ever had flank steak, you know what I’m talking about. It’s lean, affordable and perfect for this meal!
I typically prep everything before practice, so once we’re home it’s easy-breezy cooking. I start by thinly slicing the steak, then cutting again into thirds. Place in a medium size bowl with the marinade and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes. Before heading out the door, I also throw the rice into my rice cooker so it’s perfectly prepared by the time we return.
- 1.5 lbs flank steak
- 2 broccoli crowns
- 1 c rice of choice, uncooked
- 4 tbsp. Hoisin sauce
- 4 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 2-3 scallions
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- In the meantime, combine the Hoisin sauce, ginger and soy sauce in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the flank steak into strips, then cut strips into thirds. Add steak to the marinade refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Chop scallions and broccoli, set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add sesame oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef and cook until browned. Remove from heat and steam broccoli.
- Serve beef and broccoli over rice and sprinkle scallions and sesame seeds.
- Tip: Swap out the steak for ground turkey or chicken!
Pin now, enjoy later!
You may also like…